Re: [translations] cs nodes, revisions and updates of documentation

From: Pavel Fric
Subject: Re: [translations] cs nodes, revisions and updates of documentation
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:25:03 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

from this point of view the situation is something like this: in this area were
living +- 3 000 000 people who were pushed away; the rest of population knew
German very well, I think (comparing it to the level of knowledge obtained in
schools). These generations are gone.

Through last decades after WW II, it was Russian language, that was taught in
schools (I had it only two years), and German was mostly second option for some
on secondary schools. After 1989 English came with full force, simply said, on
secondary schools (middle level of education) German is according to me the
second in order - it depends on each students specialization. Me for example:
j'ai fait quatre ans de francais au Lycée, mais maintenant je n'ai pas déja
parlé beaucoup de temps. Peut-etre j'encore comprends le text écrit, quand je
le vois et veux/dois, ai besoin de lire - ma langue préféré. :-) - (Note: I
have no keyboard with French characters).

The possible audience of professional musicians is in neighbour, and the
nearest to the West or South, partially North: German and Austria - speaking
about the foreign as a place for concerts of skilled artists. - I think, that
they are learning German in their own interest. Terminology often comes from
Italian sources, so there is only small detail: the line between countries
consisting in the difference between naming/interpretation of note H (German,
and so in Czech "Bé" = Hes) - and the same note as H is B (in English), at
least I think;

> I think the individual translator of the individual language
> should decide.  Does he think that Czech readers are more familiar
> with German than English?  If so, I'd say that having a section in
> German is no problem.
>
> In most cases, my first guess is that English is the best "second
> option" is the native language isn't available... but that isn't
> always going to be true.  For example, if somebody started up a
> Flemish translation, it may be appropriate to display untranslated
> sections in Dutch rather than English.  A translation into
> Romansch might prefer to display untranslated material in German
> or French or Italian or whichever language they think that their
> target audience is most likely to understand.  A translation into
> Cantonese might prefer to display unstranslated stuff in Mandarin,
> rather than English.

But my reasons are more practical nad the appearance of German texts should be
contemporary. :-)

Pavel Fric