Re: pdfTex failure

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: pdfTex failure
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:26:52 -0000

Graham, you wrote Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:07 PM

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:47:17PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

make doc was failing for me with

 TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=5000].

I hacked etc/texmf/texmf.cnf to increase save size,
which allowed make doc to proceed, but what is the
correct way to fix this?

Sorry, I can't reproduce in native ubuntu or in lilydev.  Can you
remember any other info about when you saw this?  Was this a doc
build from scratch, and if so, were you using lilydev 1.1 or
something else?  Or was this while building the docs on windows
with your shell scripts?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. This was in Ubuntu 9.10 running under VirtualBox in Vista. I don't use lilydev.

The build was a doc build using make doc.  I think
if was after doing make doc-clean, but it seemed
pretty well independent of other things.

After increasing save size to 10000 the doc build
completed perfectly, so all is OK at the moment,
but as I hacked a file which says "don't hack this"
I guess it might revert back again after an update
sometime in the future.

What value do you have for save size in etc/texmf/texmf.cnf?

Trevor