Re: DOC: NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices - part combining (issue4188056)

From: ColinPKCampbell
Subject: Re: DOC: NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices - part combining (issue4188056)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 04:29:24 +0000

On 2011/02/22 12:15:31, Reinhold wrote:

http://codereview.appspot.com/4188056/diff/1003/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely
File Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4188056/diff/1003/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely#newcode852
Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely:852: chord or unisono.
On 2011/02/21 20:29:42, Colin Campbell wrote:
> I believe "unisono" is a Dutch usage, so I've changed it to
"unison", although
> it is hardwired into the names of functions like
\partCombineUnisono.

Unisono is the usual Italian term, as opposed to "divisi".

FWIW, "unisono" only appears in code, never in open text, per git grep
'unisono '; I feel that using the Italian term in this context would
detract from the purpose of explaining the commands.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4188056/diff/1003/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely#newcode872
Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely:872: Use the combination
strategy
automatically determined.
On 2011/02/21 17:56:05, pkx166h wrote:
> Can we be more descriptive on what the 'automatic' strategy is? Or
we could
> simply say
>
> "Let the software decide which is the best option". I want to not
use the word
> 'strategy'.

Actually, it's not easy to describe the default (combine, if it is
possible, but
not for voice crossings or for different spanners or dynamics, or if
the notes
are further apart than an octave or so).

Also, lilypond does not usually decide what's the best option, but
rather the
simplest.

Perhaps I should add something like: decide, but the results may need
adjustment in some cases."?

http://codereview.appspot.com/4188056/