Re: DOC: NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices - part combining (issue4188056)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: DOC: NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices - part combining (issue4188056)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:38:21 +0100

Am Samstag, 26. Februar 2011, um 21:01:40 schrieben Sie:
> A question for Reinhold, though:
> do I gather correctly that \partcombine is applied to a Staff, and turns
> the combining mechanism on, while \partcombineAutomatic is applied to a
> single Voice?

Not really. When part-combining does its job, there are no voices or staves
yet. \partcombine rather takes two music expressions and decides to which
voices the note events (and of course also all other events in the music
expressions) are sent later on. \partcombineAutomatic and the other functions
simply tell the part-combiner where to send the events.

> That being so, does it "turn off" a previous
> \partcombineApart, e.g.?

Yes, that's correct. If you use \partcombineApart (which tells the part-
combiner to send all events of the first music expression to voice one and the
events of the second expression to the second voice, even if they could be
combined to a chord), you need to use \partcombineAutomatic to return to the
default part-combining mechanism.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886