Re: git rebase and gitk

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: git rebase and gitk
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:23:00 +0100

Am Sonntag, 27. Februar 2011, um 21:03:35 schrieb Graham Percival:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 11:20:18AM -0800, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> > It is worth noting that `git rebase' is a very powerful command, since
> > you can potentially rewrite all of git history with it.  So, in
> > general, be careful that you're not modifying commits that have
> > already been pushed to savannah.
>
> Yes indeed; I've wrecked my lab git repo (I'm the only one using
> it, though) a few times because of this!
>
> How about:
>   git rebase -i origin/master
>
> are there any dangers with that?

Only if you did a "git fetch origin" meanwhile. then it might happen that
there are conflicts when rebasing. That's why a do a "git rebase
origin/master" (non-interactive) first, where I only have to deal with those
conflicts. After that, I don't see any dangers (apart from accidental deletes
of whole conflicts, but that's a general danger of the interactive rebase)
with that.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886