Re: branching

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: branching
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:12:59 +0100

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 09:30:06PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure everything can be implemented using small steps
> (e.g. spacing code overhaul, as has happened in the past).

Umm, the spacing code overhaul *did* start off on a separate
branch.  IIRC Joe worked on it there for 3 or 4 months before it
was merged.

> As I suggested this summer, the new Fedora branching model looks
> pretty interesting to me:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Branched

I skimmed the article, but I didn't see anything interesting.  Are
you talking about freezes?  Freezes are nothing new.

> Of course, it does require some resources. But (as always) I do trust
> Carl to be exactly the person we need :-)

Yes, Carl is excellent.  I'm certain that he will do a fine job of
cherry-picking patches, taking 2-5 hours a week of his time.
That's time that he's not writing code, review patches, helping
new contributors, or doing other things like his actual day job or
spending time with his family.

I don't feel at all good about dumping this task on him.  I
seriously think that most people are underestimating the amount of
work it will be.
Hopefully I'm wrong.  I still haven't spent the time to understand
the git branching/merging stuff, so maybe it will be a breeze.