Re: branching

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: branching
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:30:06 +0200

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Matthias Kilian <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1. is the way to go. Sure, it would put some pressure on people
> working on big changes, which kind of sucks (it could even slow
> down implementing cool new stuff). On the other hand, it enforces
> smaller steps towards new features, which is good (easier to track
> down regressions, easier to *understand* what's going on).

I'm not entirely sure everything can be implemented using small steps
(e.g. spacing code overhaul, as has happened in the past).

As I suggested this summer, the new Fedora branching model looks
pretty interesting to me:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Branched
(then again, developing a whole distribution is certainly very
different from developing a relatively specialized project such as
Lily).

Of course, it does require some resources. But (as always) I do trust
Carl to be exactly the person we need :-)

Cheers,
Valentin.