Re: shortened flags affair, part 8: choosing appropriate flag (issue4312

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 8: choosing appropriate flag (issue4312057)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:19:54 +0200

2011/4/15 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> But the development community has a very huge problem:
> - the very skilled members generally have full-time jobs and
>  familes.

Then Graham, I'm afraid you and I desperately are without any skill :-)

> - it takes about 5 hours a week simply to keep "up to date"
>  with the various lilypond mailing lists.

That I can confirm. And it's a minimum.

> Right.  The main problem for you is:
> - you need a mentor.  Somebody who can guide you through the
>  steps, encourage you, and investigate if you get truly stuck.
>
> Unfortunately, Mike Solomon is the only programmer who has offered
> to mentor people, and IIRC he's paired up with Benko Pal.

Janek, I'm no coding guru (and have very little skills when it comes
to programming, see above), but I have learned a thing or two in my
time here, so feel free to contact me privately if you have questions
you think I can answer. I'm already quite impressed with what you've
accomplished (and a little proud to think I was the first one to
introduce you to some of the basic concepts behind Lily ;-)

Since I'm not fully involved with the community as I used to be, I do
have some time to spare. (However I'm afraid you'll have to start
explaining what you're doing from scratch, since I haven't been
reading -devel for the past few months.) So, that's about all I have
to offer.

Cheers,
Valentin.