Re: branching

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: branching
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:57:36 -0300

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> (2)   Keep working at our normal pace, but split off stable
>> versions to which only bug fixes will be applied.
>
> (3) any "big" change -- say, any patch that takes longer than 6
> hours to write -- is done on a separate branch, and only merged
> with master once we have good reason to believe that it's
> finished.

This won't work.  The reason we keep finding regressions is that we
release packaged binaries of 2.13 to the general public.  These
releases widens the amount of "testers" (ie. users).  Any development
happening in a side branch will not get the same exposition.

I recommend using developer branches only for work that is known to
break the regtest if it is merged.