Re: stable/2.14 and fixed_2_x_y

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: stable/2.14 and fixed_2_x_y
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:33:24 +0100

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:01:43PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On 4/16/11 5:02 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If you fix something in the issue tracker, mark it fixed_2_15_0.
> > Carl will add fixed_2_13_61, _62, _63, _64, etc., when he
> > cherry-picks the patch to stable/2.14.
>
> Also, please set the status to Started, rather than Fixed.  I'll set it to
> Fixed when I cherry-pick it to stable/2.14.

I disagree; for example, look at
If we only mark it "started", then it will still show up in the
general "open bugs" list, and in the "patches left to review"
list.

Instead, I think we should mark something as "fixed" if the patch
is in git master, but add a "backport" label.  You will remove
that label when you actually do backport it, and I'll check to see
if there's anything with "backport" before making any releases.

One consequence of this is that the bug squad's "verify" step
becomes more important, but at least it doesn't drive a huge spike
through normal development and bugs.

NB: I'm still using Carl's policy unless he changes his mind.
When making the patches countdown or looking at the existing
Critical items, I can just manually check every item.  There
should be less than 10 such items at any time, so it's not a huge
amount of extra work.