Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:52:29 +0100

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 06:46:57PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>
> >On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 04:48:36PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> >>Iff stderr is on a tty, there may be some justification to put
> >>out some progress indicators to it, but they should not take
> >>useful space: one can compress successive progress messages by
> >>using CR and/or BS when going on.
> >
> >How would that play with (presumably poor) terminal support on
> >mingw, and even worse, various "graphical" apps like lilypad,
> >jedit, frescobaldi, etc?  I like that idea for normal linux usage,
> >but I don't think we should switch to that system without knowing
> >how it would affect other programs which call lilypond.
>
> TBH, I don't agree at all.  I personally think there's nothing worse
> than a process that takes place in the background and gives no
> indication that anything is happening.

The proposal is to indicate process by doing something like:
  1^H^2^H3^H4
whereby we print a number, then print a "backspace" character to
erase that number and print another number, etc.  Alternate
versions could be done by printing a number of dots in [....] and
then "erasing" and redrawing dots as necessary, to indicate
progress.

> My response would be - in Unix, if you don't want to see the
> "normal" output, then add a 1>/dev/null - it's simple enough.

*blink*

My goodness, despite abandoning windows in 2000, I evidently still
have a lot of "windows-ness" in my system.  1>/dev/null doesn't
look simple at all to me!  :)