Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:44:59 +0200

Carl Sorensen writes:

>>> it should redirect non-error output to the file, and errors should appear
>>> in the terminal.

Stdout is used for valuable program output, stderr for any kind of
message, including progress.  The name stdERR is possibly somewhat
unfortunate and comes from the days that unix commands would only
print something (to stdERR) if there was an error.  No news is
good news.

> There was some discussion on this in January.

This seems to be coming back, yes.

> David Kastrup feels pretty strongly that progress messages belong on stderr
> along with warning/error messages, since ther are not the output of the
> program.  The output of lilypond is a music file of some sort.

Right.  For PDF that possibly does not make much sense, but more so for
svg/html output.  Here's the idea:

   <cat or generate> foo.ly | lilypond -dbackend=svg - 2>foo.log | <processing>
> foo.svg

> Personally, since lilypond cannot produce the desired music files on stdout,

yes, that seems to be broken [again?].  The above produces `-.svg'

> I have no problem with putting progress messages on stdout, even though
> that's not the standard for GNU utilities.  But I can see where David K. is
> coming from.

Please, don't go there.

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl