Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:57:51 +0100

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:07:02PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
> > and even worse, various "graphical" apps like lilypad, jedit,
> > frescobaldi, etc?  I like that idea for normal linux usage, but I
> > don't think we should switch to that system without knowing how it
> > would affect other programs which call lilypond.
>
> Every change may affect other programs.  One would not be able to
> improve anything if that was a concern.

I disagree.  I think that "concern" is not a problem, as long as
"concern" doesn't mean "reject any change whatsoever".

For example, how much work would be involved in sending an email
to 3-4 of the maintainers of software on:
http://lilypond.org/easier-editing.html
?  Maybe half an hour, if their websites are badly designed and
provide no obvious "contact us" information?

If we were seriously considering this change, I think it would be
worth it to send them a quick email.  Even if we disregard any
complaints that they make, at least they wouldn't be able to claim
that we didn't give them advanced notice.