Re: make check currently fails (beam-skip.ly, commit 7bcdd37be15ece09cd9

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: make check currently fails (beam-skip.ly, commit 7bcdd37be15ece09cd97841137b075a576bbe696)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:14:59 +0100

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:56:53PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> PS: If "make check" fails, it does not give ANY indication where it fails or
> how to get any information about the offending file. All it says is:

Yes, that was introduced in
  3623cfc12bb53499a591ae45ac61931bafc6bf20

We've had some discussions about how to fix it, and we have a
solid plan, but we didn't get as far as making a patch.

>     Processing /home/reinhold/lilypond/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-
> names-1514509494.ly
>
> Where and how can I find the information which of the hundreds of regtests
> caused the check to fail? snippet-names-1514509494.ly contains 584 files!

There's a corresponding .log file now (in the same directory); the
error is there.

> Shouldn't the build system (i.e. lilypond-book) provide better output (e.g.
> print the actual error to the command line)???

Yes.  Something as simple as
  tail -n5 ..../snippets-names-1514509494.log
would be a huge step towards undoing this damage.

My apologies for pushing that patch in its current state; I didn't
notice this problem at the time.  I know just frustrating it is to
hunt around for build system errors.  If we can't get a patch that
fixes this within 12 hours or so, I will revert that problematic
commit.