Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle instead of emacs (issue4662074)

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle instead of emacs (issue4662074)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:00:59 +0000

On 7/4/11 11:32 PM, "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <janneke <at> gnu.org> wrote:

Also, I tried to make the output of the modified fixcc+asytle pass
unchanged through emacs, but the very many cases of line-broken
asssignments will be different.

Emacs users will forget to run fixcc

That won't do, sorry.  Let's make it as easy as possible for non-Emacs
users; but choosing a coding style that Emacs does not support is
a no-go.

Well, the good news is
+ Most of the problems we had were due to the prefilter, not emacs
+ emacs onlyd does the indentation, so probably we need not worry about
which emacs version
+ emacs can indent spaces instead of tabs
+ The prefilter can protect block comments from emacs indentation

Therefore here is a new patch set showing a restricted pre-filter using
emacs.  I have only had a quick look at the diffs but what I saw looked
good.  Runnign the formatter on the full tree gives a clean make; I have
a busy Tuesday, but at the end of it I can run make check and report
back here.

Since the operation is emacs( prefilter (code)), then further editing
using emacs will make no changes -- assuming emacs indentation is
idempotent, which is my big word for the day.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4662074/diff/4031/scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py
File scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4662074/diff/4031/scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py#newcode64
scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py:64: # trailing operator, but don't un-trail
assignment operators or close angle-braces >