Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle and/or emacs (issue4662074)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle and/or emacs (issue4662074)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 21:03:13 +0100

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 07:30:52PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> However, I can't seem to teach astyle to leave emacs' indentation
> choices completely intact.  So if an emacs user runs the indenter over
> and entire file, there will be a few distracting changes in the diff.

... does not compute?  What do you mean "if an emacs user runs the
indenter over an entire file" ?

If fixcc+astyle is adopted, there will be one indenter for
lilypond code.  Namely, fixcc+astyle.  As a vim user, I wouldn't
dream of auto-indenting a .cc file with vim.  As a kate user, I'm
sure that Reinhold wouldn't dream of auto-indenting a .cc file
with kate.  As a microsoft word user, James Lowe wouldn't dream of
auto-indenting a .cc file with word (at least, I expect that he
has to use word at some point for his job).

> 1) trust emacs users to control their auto-indenter, or

This.  If somebody wants to own a rabid rotweiller or hungry tiger
as their pet, that's their business; but if that beast gets loose
on the street, that's a different story.
(yes, most cities have by-laws against owning dangerous animals,
but I'm not most cities)

> If nobody sees a killer problem with any of these then I suggest the
> build-meister may choose by whim or coin-flip.

I don't think I should pick, regardless of whim or not.  I'd like
to reach consensus, or at least have an absolutely clear reason
why we can't reach consensus.  I think that another few days of
discussion -- or perhaps even a full week -- won't hurt.