Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:25:12 +0100

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 02:26:16PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthias Kilian"
> <address@hidden>
> >Wouldn't it be better to either collect both stdout and stderr in
> >the same log file or to use three log files .err.log, .out.log and
> >.log, where the latter contains the combined streams? Otherwise you are
> >loosing the context between the two, which sometimes may be important.

This is indeed something to consider.

> There's often an overwhelming amount of standard output, so it
> seemed better to keep them separate.

I think we should try to quantify statements like that.  Exactly
what types of messages are on stdout, exactly what types of
messages are on stderr, how relevant is the context between the
two, etc.

There are some questions in life that are about theoretical
philosophy; I don't think this is one of them.