Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:50:19 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2011 2:00 PM

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 01:16:21PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
    * We do not change the output of make, make doc, or any of the
      other make commands - this is the default.
    * We use the variable QUIET_BUILD to signal to the make system
      that we want the minimum of progress output visible on the
      terminal, with all other output going to logfiles

I think we should use logfiles by default -- actually, we should
use logfiles exclusively -- and then display bits of logfiles if
that seems helpful in debugging problems.

My concern with this is that we may get a lot of people surprised and confused by this - "hey, where's all my usual output gone - something must be wrong!". By making it as it is by default, but with the ability to switch off the output to the screen if you know what you're doing, we avoid that problem.

That said, I do not think that we should hide the ((make output)).

No problem with that. It would be worth adding a statement to the CG that this can be hidden with a -s switch if required.

In other words:
- all output from make(1) should be be on the console.
- all output not from make(1) should be in logfiles.
- all output from make(1) might be saved to a logfile in addition

Easy to do with a redirect, either "> logfile 2>&1" to send _all_ or just "> logfile" for non-error output. We could add this to the CG, too.

    * Wherever possible, stderr output should go to *.err.log and
      stdout output to *.log

I'm personally not wild about the difference in length between
.err.log and .log... but I also think that the suggestions that we
combine those anyway are certainly worth considering.

I've got no problem with combining them. It just seemed like the "system" was set up to allow them to be segragated, so why not do so?

    * Running (for example) make -s QUIET_BUILD=1 doc should give
      the occasional progress message to indicate where it has
      reached in the build process, but a such a rate that it’s
      easy to read and a volume that allows the user to see the
      top of the output in terminal

Disagree.  We don't need occasional progress messages; the only
case that it might have been useful was caused from a lack of
communication.  Once people know how things go, they're not
useful.

Disagree. If I run a statement from the command line and *nothing* happens for 10 minutes or so (and it's closer to 2 hours for make doc) I assume something has gone wrong and try to work out what. I can't be unique. People expect to see signs of progress. You may be used to kicking off a make doc and going off for a quiet coffee. I think that's likely to be the exception, not the rule.

    * Ideally, running (for example) make -s QUIET_BUILD=1 on a
      build that fails should make it easy to see the file causing
      the build to fail.

I think we should omit the "-s QUIET_BUILD=1" from that sentence.
It should always be easy to see why a build fails.

Yeah.  Was just emphasising we shouldn't lose it under quiet conditions.

--
Phil Holmes