Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:10:40 +0200

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 08:24:37AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Almost right.  However, try not to invent something new.  Please just
> use the autoconf/automake behaviour, which follows mostly the convention
> that Linux and Git git have set.
>
>    http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/automake/Options.html
>
> To summarize
>
>     the user of the package may influence the verbosity at configure run
>     time as well as at make run time:
>
>     * Passing --enable-silent-rules to configure will cause build rules to
>       be less verbose; the option --disable-silent-rules is the default and
>       will cause normal verbose output.
>
> [we could change this default]

Please no.

The problem with the too verbose build output in lilypond is not
related at all to the *make* output, IMHO. --enable-silent-rules
only hides crucial information. Heck, at OpenBSD we even spent time
to force --disable-silent-rules on all software packages by default,
because it just sucks if a build fails and you don't see the exact
command line parameters passed to the compiler or the linker.

Ciao,
        Kili