Re: Improves some parmesan noteheads. (issue 4639065)

From: bordage . bertrand
Subject: Re: Improves some parmesan noteheads. (issue 4639065)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:50:05 +0000

On 2011/09/12 22:37:05, janek wrote:
i've looked at latest screenshot attached to tracker issue and... wow!
 It looks
really great!
Thanks a lot :)

http://codereview.appspot.com/4639065/diff/13002/ly/engraver-init.ly#newcode1063
ly/engraver-init.ly:1063: \override Stem #'thickness = #2
I'd make them just a bit thinner, perhaps 1.8.  I think that 2 might
get too
thick with smaller font-size (as font-size decreases, the relative
thickness
increases).

You're right, I'll do that. Do you want to make a patch that sets some
other parameters for the PetrucciStaff?

http://codereview.appspot.com/4639065/diff/13002/mf/parmesan-noteheads.mf#newcode272
mf/parmesan-noteheads.mf:272: nm_red_holeheight := 2.5 linethickness;
I'd make this 3 linethickness.

That's what I tried at first, but this strangely looks more readable
with 2.5. But I haven't yet compared printed results of different sizes,
so you're maybe right.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4639065/diff/13002/mf/parmesan-noteheads.mf#newcode329
mf/parmesan-noteheads.mf:329: nm_width := staff_space#;
if i'm not mistaken and these are the height and width of half and
quarter
noteheads, i'd make them very slightly bigger - something like
nm_height := 1.1 noteheight#;
329 nm_width := 1.05 staff_space#;

Do you know what neomensural and mensural styles are inspired of? I
always thought these notes were tiny, but it's maybe intended. As I am
not an expert, I kept the shapes as is, but a rebuild would be great
since we could get rid of draw_diamond_head (and finally have good
ancient fonts).

Anyway, the next steps will be (in order) to redesign the ancient rests,
accidentals, clefs, time signatures and flags. Do I count you in?

Bertrand

http://codereview.appspot.com/4639065/