Re: PATCH: Countdown to 20110921

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: PATCH: Countdown to 20110921
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:04:35 +0100

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 08:31:51AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > As an experiment, I have changed all (hopefully?) of these issues
> > from Patch-review to Patch-countdown.  You can see the complete
> > list here:
> > http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=Patch%3Dcountdown
> >
> > To avoid cluttering up bug-lilypond, I manually un-checked the
> > "send email" option at the bottom of the email.
>
> Where is the point in changing patch status and telling nobody who did
> not look yet?  Sorry, I think that is a bad idea.  "Patch-countdown" is
> a final warning of the "speak now or be forever silent" kind.

You previously had one option to see the countdown:

1. read -devel, read all the responses to the initial countdown
message, mentally subtract the 2 or 3 patches that were
"withdrawn" by the authors because they didn't remove the
"patch-review" label when they should have, then look at the
remaining patches.
With a countdown of 5 issues, that's ok-ish, but when we get up to
10 issues, that's more mental arithmetic than I want to do.  I'm
bad at arithmetic.

There's now a second and third option:

2. read -devel, see there's a new countdown, skim the list, then
lick on the helpful link
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=Patch%3Dcountdown
that gives you a complete up-to-date list of patches that are in
danger of being pushed.

3. check that helpful link once a day.  Or, after the automatic
script is generating these, just check it on Monday, Wednesday,
and Friday (GMT), or maybe tues/fri/sat depending on your time
zome.
And email would still be sent to -devel about the initial list, of
course, just like we currently do.  So the first option is still
on the table if you enjoy mental arithmetic.