Re: RFC: \hideNote

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: RFC: \hideNote
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:23:43 +0000

Adam,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Adam Spiers
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I noticed that we already have \hideNotes and \unHideNotes, but that
> is rather clumsy when you only want to hide a single note.  So I wrote
> a patch to add \hideNote, and as a newbie to Lilypond development I
> wanted to check that this was a sensible idea.  The patch is here,
> although I haven't tested it properly yet because I'm still getting to
> grips with the regression test suite:
>

> https://github.com/aspiers/lilypond/commit/125c734efa2815e358815cdd912acad81940c776
>
> It adds one sentence to the documentation which would need
> translating.

I am sure other more experienced programmers will chime in but having
two 'similar' functions

\hideNote
\hideNotes

Is a good idea.

Although we do have

\time

and

\times

but they do very different things.

Also with regard to updating documentation and translations you can
read all about that in the Contributor's Guide.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-documentation

Essentially the translations are handled in a separate branch.

Also you cannot just edit snippets like your commit shows, there is a
process for this too that needs to be followed.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/adding-and-editing-snippets

If you like, for now I can add a tracker issue for you on this and if
you send me a git format patch I can post this up on Rietveld (our
current method of code verification) for you.

Else you can have a go yourself,

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor-big-page.html#making-patches

Regards

James