Re: xml-script

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: xml-script
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:57:05 +0100

Juro <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> sometimes I use the musicxml2ly script, when somebody, who uses capella or
> finale wants to give me some pieces. It's great to have this possibility.
>
> Although I use lilypond for my purposes, I need to export something for
> others.
> (To print it out and scan it with finale is possible, but not the best way.)
> Therefore my queston: is there anybody able to write a ly2xml-script which
> saves the basic information like voices, key and time, notes, slurs/ties.
>
> (not necessary things like text, markups, articulation etc.)
>
> If there is somebody able but not interested - could i pay somebody for that?
> How expansive would it be?

There is <URL:code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=665>.  This
should give you some suggestion both about other people's willingness to
contribute and the amount of payment which is "not yet" sufficient to
make somebody go for this project.

I consider it likely that several months of work would be involved (not
to mention continued maintenance afterwards for which collecting
additional fees is not likely to meet much enthusiasm).  So a fee that
is small when compared to the licensing costs for a _single_ copy of
larger commercial typesetting software is not necessarily all too
attractive.

So if your intent is to _save_ money by using Lilypond with XML export,
you'll be in for some serious long-range planning...