Re: Why no review on Doc: NR 1.6.2 - Staff Symbol?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why no review on Doc: NR 1.6.2 - Staff Symbol?
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 16:07:24 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/3/11 7:38 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>James <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Nothing sinister about it, and am happy to revert it but don't
>>> understand why this is bad. Sure the new example is much 'simpler'
>>> than having  write all the \new Staff { with }, especially when I as a
>>> LP user want to write single system scores where I would probably
>>> never ever use \new Staff { \with.
>>
>>You apparently did not read what I wrote.  The new example _does_ _not_
>>_work_ in standalone contexts.
>
> Actually, if you follow the instructions in the Learning Manual, it _does_
> work.
>
> See the Learning Manual, section 1.4.1 Omitted material, which explains
> that snippets from the documentation need to be enclosed in {} or
> \relative {}.
>

> {
>   \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #3
>   {d4 d d d}
> }
>
> works just fine.

I quote the respective passage from the learning material:

       Why omit the braces?  Most examples in this manual can be inserted
    into the middle of a longer piece of music.  For these examples, it
    does not make sense to add ``\relative c'' { ... }'' - you should not
    place a `\relative' inside another `\relative'!  If we included
    ``\relative c'' { ... }'' around every example, you would not be able
    to copy a small documentation example and paste it inside a longer
    piece of your own.  Most people want to add material to an existing
    piece, so we format the manual this way.

All of this does not apply here.