Re: Why no review on Doc: NR 1.6.2 - Staff Symbol?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why no review on Doc: NR 1.6.2 - Staff Symbol?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 03:43:22 -0800

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 11:39:03AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Le Dec 4, 2011 à 11:27 AM, Graham Percival a écrit :
>
> > This is *NOT* directed at programmers.  Programmers should keep on
> > programming.  This is directed at users.
>
> I think this is a great idea - I'm sure that there are several
> users who have valuable knowledge to contribute to the dox.
>
> It may be worth it to send excerpts of your e-mail it to the
> user list.

Tried it half a dozen times over the past couple of years.
Nobody's interested.

> It seems that a similar call to arms worked for bug squad stuff
> - even if one or two users have something to contribute to the
> docs, it'd help!

I don't disagree with that.  I simply disagree that this is a good
time to invite users.

- despite being told not to, they'll send emails to me personally,
  and I'll either ignore them or tell them to mao off.  That's not
  precisely helpful in terms of recruiting helpers.
- despite being told they're not supposed to, somebody will try to
  compile lilypond / texinfo / send a patch, and get hopelessly
  tangled up in outdated info in the CG.
- Dec is a busy time; we might as well wrap it into the
  recruitment drive in January.

That said, if the advanced users on the devel mailing list were to
start helping, we could test and improve the work flow over the
next few weeks, such that things were more ready for the hordes of
helpers who will no doubt appear whenever as ask on the -user
list.

> If they're afraid of texidoc, you could even offer that they
> write the text in whatever format works for them (MS Word, etc)
> and then see if anyone on the devel list is willing to do some
> syntax sprucing: James has helped me out like this several times
> & it made integration into the dox a lot less painful.

We *already have* somebody: James.  We don't want MS word or
anything like that; we want *plain text*.  If somebody can write
an email, they can improve the documentation.

This is a good example of what we want:

That format is suggested from the "simple tasks" here:
http://lilypond.org/help-us.html