Re: Release news, development news, state of the world

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Release news, development news, state of the world
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:06:18 -0800

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:55:04AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Graham Percival writes:
>
> > Almost everybody wants stable releases more frequently.  They
> > attract positive attention
>
> Are you sure?

It attracted positive attention on lilypond-user.  I never said
*how* much attention it received.

> On what fora was the 2.14 release announced?  Did it
> eventually make lwn.net?  Has anyone checked how many followers we have
> on FB or Twitter (MuseScore, anyone?).
>
> How long ago was the last real LilyPond review you've read (may 2011 was
> on musescore happened to mention lily)?

Well, I personally don't care.  If somebody wants to work on
advertising, or even better, work on things which encourage other
people to do advertising for us, they're welcome to do so.

At the moment, the top 3 problems for publicity that I see are:

1. no prospect of stable releases due to GUB problems, and nobody
working on them.

2. the old lilypond.org/web/ pages are still up (and probably
still in google's cache), various links point to those, which
gives the impression that our project died 3 years ago or
something.
Some of that work needs to be done by you, me, or Han-Wen, but
most of the work to fix this can be done by others.  No volunteer
has come forward in the past 2 years to dedicate work getting this
done, though.  So it's moving forward at a glacial pace when I
have time left in my weekly 10 hours and there's no worse
disasters.  This seems to work out to 1 hour per month.

3. no lilypond report.  It seems that David and Valentin are
tackling this one.

4. no rss feed, no automatic twitter announcements, no google+
announcements, etc.
has been on the books for 2 years; nobody's interested.  Even if I
was interested in manually submitting announcements to places
(which I'm not, although I'd be willing do it for stable
announcements), nobody has touched

Looks, this is just like musicxml export.  All the bits and pieces
are out there; if somebody was willing to spend 2-3 hours working
on it, we'd see a huge step forward.  But unless I see somebody
seriously working on these, I see no point getting worked up about
it.  We collectively have demonstrated that we do not care about
publicity.