Re: Directs makeinfo and texi2html output to logfiles (issue 5645046)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Directs makeinfo and texi2html output to logfiles (issue 5645046)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:20:51 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 12:56 PM

I'm not sure why the run-and-check.sh script needs to be so complicated.

Nor me. But I did a lot of experimentation to get it to work. I think all the extra redirection and the exec stuff is required because you're running a command inside a shell script, and so simply trying:

command 2>&1

doesn't work.  There's lots of stuff on the net about needing to use exec.

If you don't use eval, the shell tries to run the first "command" it sees, which is "DEPTH=$(depth)/../" and this fails as a command. So the way round that was to use eval.

As you know, I'm no unix script expert. But I'd be surprised if there was a simpler way to actually make this work.

--
Phil Holmes