Re: Final redirection of texi output (issue 5650064)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Final redirection of texi output (issue 5650064)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:05:56 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/4001/scripts/build/run-and-check.sh
File scripts/build/run-and-check.sh (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/4001/scripts/build/run-and-check.sh#newcode2
scripts/build/run-and-check.sh:2: eval $1 > $2 2>&1
On 2012/02/13 10:53:44, Graham Percival wrote:
I know this has already been discussed, but I'm sorry to see no
comments for
this line.  I have no clue what it's doing, so if any problem arose in
this part
of the build system, I'd have to start reading some unix shell script
tutorial.
That might cause maintainability problems down the road.

Could we have a brief hint?

Actually, it is totally basic shell scripting here.

Personally, instead of
run-and-check.sh 'some quoted shell command' logfile

I'd tend to write

some quoted shell command >logfile 2>&1 || { echo "Check" logfile "for
errors" >&2 ; exit 1; }

each time round.  I don't see that the extra indirection is really
helpful.  Possibly a Makefile macro can be used to write the above
shorter.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/