Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:21:45 -0200

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> By the way, lilypond's fonts embed extra data in font tables (look for
>
> LILC and
>>
>> LILY in open-type-font.cc). That may be a better way to embed this
>
> information
>>
>> than by putting it in a scm file. For example, it would allow
>
> unofficial fonts
>>
>> to support integrals by embedding an extra table.
>

> I think this is a good idea...I'll have a look at it.  Question, though
> - aren't font tables done as alists?  I think it's important to use a
> hash table here, as there is a lot of data getting thrown around and
> hash table look ups are in constant time.  I'll investigate.

OTF tables are arbitrary binary data.  IIRC, the fonts are compressed
anyway, so the on-disk space is not that relevant.

When we read the fonts, we interpret the data, see open-type-font.cc,
and alist is just a very convenient form for (de)serializing data. You
could do whatever format works best for you; since the font is only
read once, you don't have to worry about performance when loading it.