Re: GSoC

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:30:58 +0200

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Janek,
>
>> Just take a look at these issues - they are the Lyrics project:
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?q=label:GSoC-LyricProject
>
> WOW! What an amazing list —

thanks, i'm flattered :)

> especially if you can actually squash/improve all (or even most) of them!

I have to, or i won't get money from Google :)

>>> I have several bounty-worthy Lyrics issues that I would be happy to see
>>> solved as part of this GSoC project, if possible.
>> Please let me know about them, definitely!
>
> I previously offered David K a bounty for spacing problems (e.g., 2462, 2456,
> 2450), and we began discussions for hyphen issues (e.g., 2463, 2458) — those,
> and a few other lovely improvements I hadn't considered (e.g., 2454, 2453),
> are already in there.

I'll ask whether he has any hints on these, thanks for letting me know!

> The big lacuna in the project list appears to be LyricExtender problems.
> Have you looked at any of those "less-than-perfect" Lilypond behaviours?
> In particular, I would love to see the following: If the right-hand edge
> of the LyricText extends past the right-most edge of the note (or last note
> of the melisma) to which it's attached, then the LyricExtender disappears.
> Of course, a LyricExtender #'minimum-length property could be added to
> override/avoid this behaviour.

Actually, i'd vote for having Extenders added by default, without the
need to write them explicitly in ly code.
Sure, when i finish the issues already chosen for the project (i have
to do them first because that's what i've declared to uncle G), i'll
gladly work on Extenders.  In particular, i'd like to draw some
conclusions from "Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation"
thread and implement them.

cheers,
Janek