Re: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript (issue 6137050)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript (issue 6137050)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 19:25:34 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/6137050/diff/11001/Documentation/notation/input.itely

http://codereview.appspot.com/6137050/diff/11001/Documentation/notation/input.itely#newcode1073
> Documentation/notation/input.itely:1073: >1
>     >2
>
>     \breathe
>     c2
>     \footnote #'(0.5 . 0.5) #'BreathingSign \markup { Breathe }
>
> The \breathe example is more normal-looking here.

Not exactly the most intuitive order I have to say.  \breathe does not
take a
postevent, though, so the alternative would be the use of
<>\footnote or equivalent, either before or after \breathe itself:
\breathe creates an event without duration.

This is one case where the postevent order is not helpful, because the
thing you
want to modify itself does not take a postevent.  Putting the
postevent on c2
instead delivers it at the right point of time, but this is plainly
counterintuitive.

c2
\footnote #'(0.5 . 0.5) #'BreathingSign \markup { Breathe }
-\breathe

does work: turning \breathe explicitly into a postevent makes the
arrangement in toto somewhat more natural, even though having the
\breathe after the note is a bit surprising.

But a bit less jarring than the alternative.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6137050/