Re: Server at Paris VIII

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Server at Paris VIII
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:40:51 +0200

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 02:25:29PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Hi Graham,
> Il giorno dom, 13/05/2012 alle 19.24 +0200, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> > Agreed.  I think the most we'd use it for would be LSR.  I don't
> > think we should give ssh logins to developers for testing patches;
> > that should be done locally otherwise it could easily lead to
> > major headaches [3] for whoever's handling this.
> >
> > [3] then again, it's not me so if you want to try it, go ahead.
>
> So, who should be initially given access to this server?  Mike and you?
> A subset of Mike, you and me?

I'd rather not touch it if possible -- I spent a moderate amount
of thought+effort into the Patchy system specifically because I
wanted it to be decentralized.

First step is to set up patchy, which only needs your account and
seems to be working fine now.  Second step might be to set up some
kind of server for the test-patches, if James doesn't want to do
that.  If James is happy with the status quo, then I guess
something else next...?  I'm not really certain what you want to
do with that computer other than test-patches (and the server for
that will likely take 5-20 hours of python hacking by you, so I'm
not certain you want to work on that now).

If you're interested, then try running test-patches.  It won't
upload anything, so don't worry about any mistakes here.  Just run
it, then look in the output directory and try running one of the
created scripts.