Re: GUB build diary

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB build diary
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:04:55 +0100

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 12:56:33PM +0100, Colin Hall wrote:

> In the hope that it might help others, see attached diary of my work building
> a Lilypond release with GUB, making a trivial edit, pushing the changes to
> github, and submitting a pull request to Graham.

Ok, some more detailed reading, plus a few notes which I'm pretty
certain that you already know but I want to make sure that there's
no confusion about this (from you or anybody else reading it).

- Installing Regtests into LilyDev and Sat Afternoon Session
  I believe that the perl+tar problems are fixed on my version of
  gub.  It would be really nice if we could identify+fix any links
  to Jan's version, to avoid other people getting caught by this
  trap.

- random note: a few times I've done ctrl-z to "background" a GUB
  build, then "fg %1" to resume the build.  It seems quite happy
  with that, so this is a handy way to do something else
  CPU-intensive for a few minutes in the middle of a four-hour GUB
  build.

- Is this build on x86 or 64 ?  I have a vague recollection of it
  failing for me on 64, but that may have simply been because I
  was using a different linux distribution at the time.

- after taking a break, it would be great if you could reproduce
  these steps on a different (newer?) linux distribution.  We
  don't want to be stuck on ubuntu 10.04 forever, and there's
  known problems with (some) later ubuntu versions.  Now that you
  have your feet wet, you're ideally suited to working on those
  issues.  It's true that we could always keep a VM of ubuntu
  10.04 around for release purposes, but this would make it
  difficult for a semi-serious contributor to improve GUB.

  Alternately, you may want to take a look at improving GUB
  yourself, especially since that's how this started.  :)
  By now you know almost as much as me about the osx part of this
  process, but feel free to ask more questions about that.  Recall
  that the GUI is built from the lilypad git repo on my github
  account.