Re: [XY]-core-extent and general_alignment (issue 2613) (issue 6308093)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [XY]-core-extent and general_alignment (issue 2613) (issue 6308093)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 05:19:46 +0200

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> This patch seems to be for solving a lyrics related problem. It would
> be nice if this wouldn't require overhaul of the core data structures
> of LilyPond. Each and every graphic object has a dimension-cache, so
> you're adding a core-extent (as opposed to the normal extent) to each
> object. Does that make sense?  I think it would be much better if you
> could solve this problem while only touching the lyrics related code.

Sorry, i didn't make myself clear.
First of all, this is a draft (i should've marked it patch-needs_work).
Secondly - yes, this will help solving 3 gsoc-lyrics issues.  But it
will also help with other things, and i'm pretty sure that a lot of
objects will benefit from having both extents and core-extents.
Please take a look at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-06/msg00230.html
- it shows an example of how markups will benefit.
I will elaborate and send more examples later today.

thanks for a good question!
Janek