Re: Treat accidentals parentheses as cautionary (issue 6310065)

From: Rodolfo Zitellini
Subject: Re: Treat accidentals parentheses as cautionary (issue 6310065)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 21:25:25 +0200

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> So until now cautionary accidentals *were* supported - the problem was
> just that the software that exported mxls didn't mark them
> appropriately?  I.e. they had parentheses around them, but didn't have
> appropriate property set?
> That's an interesting example of how WYSIWYG sucks.
>
> LGTM
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/6310065/

Well, yes and no.
AFAIK Finale does not have the notion of "cautionary accidentals". You
can add parenthesis if you need ('p' in speedy) but that's all. When
exporting to mxml, finale marks the accidental with parenthesis="yes".
Since cautionary accidentals are by default in parens, it seemed to me
a good idea to map "free" parenthesized accidentals to cautionaries.
If I understan correctly, mxml also has a property called "cautionary"
for this, but Finale (or Dolet) never sets it.
This is quite useful for a project I'm working on, where we have many
finale files with lots of parenthesized alterations, which now show
nicely in lily (even if there are actually editorial accidentals, but
this is another story!)

Rodolfo