Re: Issue 1320: Scheme bar line interface (issue 6305115)

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: Issue 1320: Scheme bar line interface (issue 6305115)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:06:40 +0200

hi Marc,

>> http://codereview.appspot.com/6305115/diff/1/scm/bar-line.scm
>> File scm/bar-line.scm (right):
>>
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/6305115/diff/1/scm/bar-line.scm#newcode83
>> scm/bar-line.scm:83: (define (make-colon-bar-line grob)
>> I'm afraid this defun doesn't match the relevant part of current
>> Bar_line::compound_barline.
>>
>> try
>>
>> \new Staff {
>> \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-positions = #'(-2 0 2 4)
>> s1 \bar ":|"
>> }
>
> Thanks for the hint! I didn't check the results with altered line positions
> yet,
> but I don't understand what's wrong here – IMHO the scheme stuff mimics
> 1:1 the code from the original definition.

that definition was changed considerably in the meantime.

> What is wrong here?

in other threads this was answered, but let me summarize from another POV
(noting that I'm not at all an expert):
we have several conflicting properties (line-count, line-positions,
staff-space),
used in c++ generally through accessors; those accessors grew
more sophisticated and mean no more the same as the property (as you saw
line-count of scheme vs. line_count of c++).
we even have some abstractions built on them (e.g. staff_radius), and that
just adds to the confusion, which could grow for quite some time because
noone uses these fancy staffs.  well, I need them from time to time, so lately
my work with Lilypond went to straightening up some of these issues.

unfortunately I have just a little time for Lilypond and I'm much better versed
in c++ than scheme, so I can't really help you with this project.