Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:12:10 +0200

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:13:21PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Düsseldorf -- Dortmund --> 45 minutes hourly
>
> Sounds good.  Ok, I'm in as long as we have at least 3 developers
> other than myself.  So far there's David and Werner.
>
> Mike, are you completely unavailable for that period?  I recall
> that David suggested two weekends; you're away for both?  That's a
> shame.
>
> What are the details of accommodation and food (prices and
> availability)?  are there nearby restaurants we'd be going to, or
> a large kitchen, or...?  I don't know exactly what "a sort-of
> commune in a rural region" means.  :)
> If there's a large kitchen with shared meals, then I will cover
> all non-alcohol grocery bills.

The kitchen is large enough to seat everybody involved in the
preparation of meals.  Since my girl has "summer camp" and similar
things where one needs to feed 18 girls or so, there is some experience
in low-effort food preparation.  "Nearby restaurant" is not that much of
an option, at least not in walking distance.  We have a favorite "fast
food Indian" who makes Indian, Chinese, Italian stuff and delivers: it
is likely that we'll employ his services more than once with everybody
footing his own bill (typically sub-€10).  Cheap and affordable.
"Sort-of commune" means that we have a common kitchen and bathroom and
living room (which will also serve as a sleeping hall), and separate
rooms for my girl friend, myself and two other roomies.  One of them is
rarely at home; using her room is likely an option.

There is no shortage of space for setting up tents if that's an option
for some people.  If necessary, even in a distance suitable for snorers.
Accommodation elsewhere would require some planning ahead.  Werner
mentioned relatives in Dortmund; if he plans on commuting by whatever
means, it would likely extend the choice of hotels readily accessible to
people preferring separate sleeping arrangements.

"Rural" means 2.5km to the nearest bakery or other shop.  On foot you
can shave 500m off by cutting through woods and a clay quarry, but there
is no footpath, the original bridge having been burnt decades ago,
according to hearsay by one of the nearby farmers in order to fend off
townies.  300m to the next house, 900m to the next bus station.  The
next bus station is "Waltrop Elmenhorst".  If the traveling information
claims something else, don't heed it unless you enjoy cutting through a
clay quarry and woods without footpath.

More likely than not, you'll just take the subway U41 "Brambauer" from
Dortmund main station to its end station and let yourself get picked up
there unless a bus to Waltrop departs in a reasonable amount of time
(once or twice hourly depending on time of day).

I hope that the $#!@ rye field beside the house will have been harvested
by that time, but in any case, allergy sufferers should pack sufficient
amounts of whatever they might need to survive.