Re: which-page (issue 6352049)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: which-page (issue 6352049)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:32:53 +0200

2012/6/28  <address@hidden>:
> A feature should be documented, or it will not be discoverable.

Of course all features (old and new) should be documented.
But, AFAICT, non of the possibilities offered in /ly/titling-init.ly
(i.e. first-page, last-page, not-first-page, part-last-page) is
documented anywhere in LM or NR.
The only place they are used in the docs is:
Documentation/snippets/book-parts.ly
Well, they should be documented, but I propose to open a new issue to do so.

> If feasible, a regtest should be added in input/regression.  Whether
> this is possible for essentially multi-page features, I don't know, so
> it is possible that this particular feature does not really lend itself
> to a regtest.

I found only one multi-page-file in the regression-tests containing a
feature of titling-init.ly (i.e. `not-first-page'):
input/regression/page-breaks.ly
But I think this file tests something else.
So I'd suggest to open a new issue for that, too.

> http://codereview.appspot.com/6352049/diff/1/ly/titling-init.ly
> File ly/titling-init.ly (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/6352049/diff/1/ly/titling-init.ly#newcode104
> ly/titling-init.ly:104: #(define ((which-page nmbr) layout props arg)
> "which-page" seems like a less than optimal name for the intended use
> patterns:
>
> \on-the-fly #(which-page 3) ...
>
> reads less natural than
>
> \on-the-fly #(on-page 3) ...