Re: Updates to LSR make - problem?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Updates to LSR make - problem?
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:52:26 +0200

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 04:39:08PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
>> I suggest reverting recent build commits until git master can
>> compile ok,
>
> NB: I'm making this suggestion as a normal developer, not as
> project manager.  If anybody really likes build scripts, sees the
> problem, and can fix it quickly (recalling one anonymous survey
> commenting that "in the old days everybody could fix everything"
> (or something like that)), then by all means go ahead without
> reverting anything.

I am currently trying a revert of
commit e6a5019c531bbc6663e0eebc645409148dbd8931
Author: John Mandereau - LilyPond development <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Jun 28 18:32:18 2012 +0200

    Clean fonts and docs makefiles, trying to fix 'make -j' race conditions

    On my machine (GNU/Linux Fedora 17 x86_64 on an Intel Core 2 Duo),
    "make -j3 all" repeatedly calls fontforge before needed .pfb files are
    generated and makeinfo/extract_texi_filenames/texi2omf before .texi
    file has been generated/copied.  Fix this by using order prerequisites
    and adding targets to WWW-1 (first stage of doc build); order (rather
    than ordinary) prerequisites avoid having always outdated targets,
    which would trigger compilation at install.

    Remove a rule for Info manual that is no longer needed and which might
    short-circuit .dep file generation.

    mf/GNUmakefile: also factorize prerequisites in fonts using a macro.

which looks totally complex and invasive regarding the build system.  If
this goes through compilation, I'll push the revert to staging.  It will
be Patchy-staging's job then to make sure that the revert still passes a
multijob make as well.

"Reverse race conditions" reliably occuring only on single CPU builds
are one of the few things that patchy-staging is not good at detecting.
But since one of the ideas of Patchy is to make good use of impressive
CPU power, that's hard to avoid.