Re: Removes popen3 deprecated warning (issue 6471043)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Removes popen3 deprecated warning (issue 6471043)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:31:06 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:12 PM

IIRC, the problem was not the Popen wouldn't be working on Windows.
Rather, our GUB installer somehow does not include the msvcrt python
module in its python build, which is needed on Windows to provide the
Popen call. So, running lilypond-book fromself-compiled binaries has
always been working, only the downloads from lilypond.org didn't...

http://codereview.appspot.com/6471043/

My understanding of this problem was that it appeared that Popen (at some point in the past) would not work with our delivered Python (as created by Gub). I also believed that the fix to 1933 also probably removed this limitation. So I took lilypond-book and ran it using the python delivered with 2.15.95 (I only have lilypond-delivered python on my machine). I then added a call to Popen, and apart from the need to fix close_fds it ran without problem. So I concluded that the limitation is no longer there in our delivered python.

FWIW, the place where Popen is called is a pretty arcane bit of the lilypond-book code anyway - I couldn't find a way to exercise it directly on my Windows box, so I would be surprised if any windows users actually have this problem. If it's anyone, I'd guess it could be Trevor, so would appreciate his testing this. However, as I say above, I'd be surprised if it fails.

--
Phil Holmes