Re: Removes popen3 deprecated warning (issue 6471043)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Removes popen3 deprecated warning (issue 6471043)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:39:27 +0100

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 03:31:06PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> My understanding of this problem was that it appeared that Popen (at
> some point in the past) would not work with our delivered Python (as
> created by Gub).  I also believed that the fix to 1933 also probably
> removed this limitation.

No; the fix to 1933 added a special case for win32 to avoid using
subprocess.  See:
  git show ab8dfc

As of 2012 Jan 12, python files produced via GUB could not run
subprocess.  I'm not aware of any work on GUB since then which
might make this possible.  Now, you could look at ab8dfc for
inspiration on how to write a special-case to use the old
os.popen3 version for windows and use subprocess for other
operating systems.  That would remove the deprecation warning when
building on lilydev.