Re: Allow digits in identifiers (issue 6493072)

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Allow digits in identifiers (issue 6493072)
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:02:36 +0000

On 2012/09/02 11:52:46, dak wrote:

It looks like some _severe_ doctoring around with regard to notenames
was done
to make regtests pass without an actual understanding of the failure
modes,
introducing some half-baked in-between modes that don't have a purpose
apart
from papering over the fact that this patch causes the lexer to be in
the wrong
mode due to parser lookahead at several points of time.

My desire is for just one in-between mode, which I want for scanning
top-level. That desired mode is to have pitch-names loaded, but without
the scanner accepting music with durations. I want to talk about it
while it is un-baked.

The difficulty in putting the lexer in the correct mode, after music
functions with variable argument lists, is related to the mailing list
discussion on "GLISS".

This is the version that allows digits at the *end* of identifiers,
which might not be wise.  See the tracker
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1670>
The regression test changes demonstrate its conflict with
possibly-useful syntax; I was surprised how few changes were needed.

I have been waiting with this for over a year, so of course I will not
try to push anything forward until this "GLISS" dicussion is done.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6493072/