Re: layout.cc: do not draw empty boxes (issue 6450113)

From: dak
Subject: Re: layout.cc: do not draw empty boxes (issue 6450113)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 08:16:27 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/6450113/diff/10001/lily/lookup.cc
File lily/lookup.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6450113/diff/10001/lily/lookup.cc#newcode172
lily/lookup.cc:172: if (b.x ().length () < blotdiameter)
On 2012/09/03 07:25:53, Keith wrote:
It is arguably valid to request a box running from right to left, for
which
length() returns zero.  In this application, the Interval class
abstraction is
not helping us.  We could defeat the abstraction with
  if ( abs( b.x().delta() ) < blotdiameter)
     blotdiameter = abs( b.x().delta() );

Well, "arguably valid" does not mean that we can let some of our code
argue one way, some of our code the other.

If we argue it is invalid, we should deliver a programming error here in
order to make people fix the callers.  If we argue it is valid, the code
needs to be able to deal with it.

Both the code in this function as well as the code in any function it
calls.  Of course, this becomes easier to guarantee if the code in this
function will, when in doubt, transform its input into a "proper"
left-to-right box, giving the followup code better guarantees than those
it contends itself to work with.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6450113/