Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:21:59 -0300

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

> So far the discussion has gone according to my predictions.
> There's panic (and IMO overraction) from people who actually know
> the parser, which does not encourage open discussion of ideas.
> Why not hold the preliminary discussions on a separate list (to
> which parser experts are encouraged *not* to read), then only
> bring a proposal to -devel when it's ready?

Sure, but please bring it in the form of a parser patch, for two reasons:

* there are not enough people that know the parser, and it would be
better to have more. Sure, it may be a tough subject, but I never took
a compiler course or read the dragon book, and I managed to wrap my
head around it.

* It may be a coincidence that the people that understand the parser
are adverse to most changes to it, but I posit that there is a causal
relationship. I have been dealing with syntax changes and
"improvements" for many years; and it is tiring. Why can't people see
the world from our perspective for a change?

> I mean, what possible downsides are there to this?  It will be

I have only so much time. Don't waste it with fluffing around.