Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skyline

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skylines. (issue 6498077)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 15:46:31 +0200

On 3 sept. 2012, at 07:07, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2012/09/02 20:38:28, Keith wrote:
>> On 2012/09/02 06:25:58, MikeSol wrote:
>
>>> It's not a copy of the original slur because it is using
>>> pure heights and offsets.
>
>> I saw you interrogating SlurStub regarding its purity, but did not
> notice that
>> SlurStub took any different shape based on 'pure' estimates.
>
>> The SlurStubs in the regtest were shaped just like the printed Slurs,
> but now I
>> see the difference in the Chopin prelude, with
>
>> \layout { \context { \Score
>>   \override SlurStub #'color = #green
>>   \override SlurStub #'transparent = ##f
>>   \override Slur #'color = #darkgreen
>>   \override PhrasingSlur #'color = #darkgreen }}
>
>> The SlurStubs are not sufficiently accurate to help, and they cost me
> time.
>
>> Chopin op45: patch           'skylines'      2.16
>>    real      0m21.666s       0m16.245s       0m12.862s
>>    user      0m20.814s       0m15.573s       0m12.232s
>>    sys       0m0.240s        0m0.254s        0m0.217s
>
> I'm working on a new version of the patch.  There is no way to improve
> accuracy of the curve, but the Y-offset is often wrong and that can be
> improved.
>
> The time hike seems awfully expensive - there must be a way to optimize
> it.  I'll post something that works when I have it and then we can
> figure out how to optimize it.
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/6498077/

New version posted.  I'm also getting a 25% increase on the Op. 45 test case.
I am getting severe hikes across the board, though, even in scores without
cross staff slurs.  What's odd is that the hikes are happening in the "Drawing
systems" phase (I think), although I'm positive via prints to the command line
that the SlurStub's control points and vertical skylines are never being
calculated.

Lemme know if you see something slipping through the cracks - gprof shows a
hike in stencil integral and skyline code for my patch, so it must be
generating extra skylines somewhere.

Cheers,
MS