Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skyline

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skylines. (issue 6498077)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 00:33:31 +0200

On 4 sept. 2012, at 17:45, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2012/09/02 06:25:58, MikeSol wrote:
>> On 2012/09/01 23:58:37, Keith wrote:
>>> I might have a test case for you at
>>> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=1776
>>>
>>> It seems you copy each slur into a "slur-stub", and from those keep
> only the
>>> ones with "cross-staff" set. Then when figuring system skylines you
> insert all
>>> Grobs with the slur-stub-interface into the skylines for each staff.
>>>
>>> Why not insert the original Slur into the skylines, if it has
> "cross-staff"
>>> instead of the SlurStub.  For that matter, why not insert all Grobs
> marked
>>> "cross-staff"?
>>>
>>> all the cross-staff
>
>> It's not a copy of the original slur because it is using pure heights
> and
>> offsets.
>
> I realize I'm a bit late to this party, but why do you need a separate
> grob instead of just a Slur::get_maybe_pure_vertical_skylines function?
>

> http://codereview.appspot.com/6498077/

Welcome to the party!

We're on the same page - that's exactly what I've been working on over the past
day-ish in my spare time.  I don't have a clean result yet as it'd require some
trickery with finding minimum translations of VerticalAxisGroups by hand (if
the stubs belong to different vertical axis groups this is done automatically
when grob offsets are calculated).  I'm almost there though - I'll post a patch
once this is done.

We need to come up with a term for this that's not `pure' as `pure' means in
LilyPond jargon "anything that does not result in a set_object, set_property,
suicide, the calling of the SpacingSpanner or the calling of a
VerticalAlignment."  This would result in the calling of the spacing spanner
were it called further upstream, so we need a different thing to call it.

Cheers,
MS