Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skyline

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skylines. (issue 6498077)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:34:19 +0000

On 2012/09/04 08:09:21, mike7 wrote:

On 4 sept. 2012, at 09:45, mailto:address@hidden wrote:

> It makes no change for the Chopin; can you give an
> example where it helps?

In the Chopin, ragged-bottom is false so the difference can't
really be seen. The piece isn't a good test case for how the
patch changes engraving but it is an excellent test case for
efficiency.

Did you need me to type \paper{ ragged-bottom=##5 } for you?
  <http://k-ohara.oco.net/Lilypond/>
With ragged-bottoms, master allows about 8 collisions between slurs and
the pedaling in the system above, of which the patch removes 4.  That's
not good enough to be worth the extra %15 time for me, but I guess I can
just turn it off.

SlurStubs run the control point calculations using not the
actual heights and coordinates (which would trigger a vertical
alignment) but rather pure heights and coordinates.

So SlurStubs have a different shape than slurs.  That would be an
example of the different information that I was asking about.

Having the invisible Grobs taking up space will confuse the innocent.

In measure 36 of my example, it seems I used a text script for custom
fingering placement.  That "4" moves to avoid the SlurStub.  (How would
you put it back where it belongs, as a user? )

Do you still think it possible to use just the real Slurs ?...

1) setting tentative control points using pre-line-breaking estimates of
heights (which are later replaced when the Slurs go through their
post-line-breaking shaping-and-scoring cycle).

2) Determining their extremal-side-only skylines, either through
callbacks on a property other than the real "vertical-skylines" , or not
as a callback at all but through a direct function call.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6498077/

http://codereview.appspot.com/6498077/