Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skyline

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skylines. (issue 6498077)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 01:23:20 +0200

On 5 sept. 2012, at 00:33, address@hidden wrote:

> On 4 sept. 2012, at 17:45, address@hidden wrote:

>> only the
>> insert all

>> "cross-staff"
>> marked

>>> It's not a copy of the original slur because it is using pure heights
>> and
>>> offsets.
>>
>> I realize I'm a bit late to this party, but why do you need a separate
>> grob instead of just a Slur::get_maybe_pure_vertical_skylines function?
>>

>> http://codereview.appspot.com/6498077/
>
> Welcome to the party!
>
> We're on the same page - that's exactly what I've been working on over the
> past day-ish in my spare time.  I don't have a clean result yet as it'd
> require some trickery with finding minimum translations of VerticalAxisGroups
> by hand (if the stubs belong to different vertical axis groups this is done
> automatically when grob offsets are calculated).  I'm almost there though -
> I'll post a patch once this is done.
>
> We need to come up with a term for this that's not `pure' as `pure' means in
> LilyPond jargon "anything that does not result in a set_object, set_property,
> suicide, the calling of the SpacingSpanner or the calling of a
> VerticalAlignment."  This would result in the calling of the spacing spanner
> were it called further upstream, so we need a different thing to call it.
>
> Cheers,
> MS

After further reflection, the idea of stashing the callback in a single skyline
doesn't work :-(

If they are part of a single VerticalAxisGroup, they will force tons of space
between the VerticalAxisGroup to which the skyline belongs and whatever axis
group falls immediately above or below.  You'll notice that I set the bottom of
the top skyline and the top of the bottom skyline to empty so that this doesn't
happen.  If you remove this in Slur::extremal_stub_vertical_skylines, you'll
see huge vertical shifts in the regtest and other scores.

I know this is supposed to be a comment as per Graham's suggestion but out of
force of habit I wrote it in an e-mail.  Will write up as a comment.

Cheers,
MS