Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 118, Issue 55

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 118, Issue 55
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 08:32:26 -0700

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 05:09:06PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> Seriously, I don't really see the point of a separate mailing list.
> We are already so used to long discussions on lilypond-devel. Also,
> I expect a fairly large portion of the current subscribers to
> lilypond-devel would join in on the new list.

However, some members of lilypond-devel are actively hostile to
novel crazy ideas.  I mean, I knew that there was no way that
people would like the /.\ prefix-postfix-neutral idea.  It was an
experiment to see whether we could have a polite discussion about
a crazy idea.  Some people _did_ discuss it nicely, but others
over-reacted and nuked the idea with prejudice.  I cannot in good
faith encourage other people to submit ideas if they're going to
be received in that manner.  Note that crazy ideas are not
necessarily "obviously crazy" to the person suggesting it.

I see three options:

1. social solution: force a radical "culture shift" on -devel
overnight so that we can have open discussions.  I think that
things have gotten better over the past few months, but it's still
not good enough.

2. technical solution: create a new mailing list for such
discussions.  People wanting to do serious work without
distractions will simply not sign up for the new mailing list;
those wanting to discuss potentially ideas will do so on the new
mailing list.

3. alternate: hold these discussions on the -user list.  I
wouldn't mind that option, actually.