Re: Fixes position of mensural c clef (issue 6503091)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Fixes position of mensural c clef (issue 6503091)
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 08:11:54 +0200 (CEST)

> I think some of the confusion could be avoided by running all mf
> files through expand(1).

This is a good idea, and I will do so after Phil has done his work.

>> I'm really bewildered that it is apparently so hard for many
>> contributors to format and indent new code in the same manner as
>> the surrounding code.  Is this lack of experience?  Is this
>> ignorance?  Is it arrogance?
>
> I would rather keep this neutral from any accusation of ignorance or
> arrogance -- in *both* directions.  I could easily argue it either
> way.

Certainly.  Note that I don't *accuse* anyone, especially not Phil.
I'm grateful that he's working on the code, but I'm really astonished
about his replies.

> 1. reject any offers of help from contributors who do not follow the
>    existing formatting.
>
> 2. educate each contributor individually, go through multiple rounds
>    of each patch to adjust the formatting, etc.
>
> 3. use an automatic formatting tool.
>
> 4. combine 2 and 3: use an automatic formatting tool for most of the
>    code style, but still require some additional manual formatting
>    (and go through a few rounds of reviews if necessary).
>
> I favor either 3 or 4; we are not in a position to be gratuitously
> rejecting patches, and having "finicky" manual formatting will
> discourage some contributors.

I fully agree.  Since we have no support for (3) yet, I will do a bit
of (2), and I really hope that Phil can bear with me :-)

    Werner